Invest today for a better tomorrow
The Children and Young People’s Mental Health Coalition brings together leading charities to campaign jointly on the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people.
At any one time, 1 in 10 children and young people have a diagnosable mental health problem, and it is well established that most adolescent and adult mental illness can be traced back to childhood.
Addressing issues early helps individuals and society – that message needs a powerful voice.
- Ensure that our voice is heard – the first unified voice speaking on children and young people’s mental health.
- Change policy at the highest levels to improve the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people across the UK.
- Campaign with children and young people on their mental health and wellbeing.
- Ensure that there is universal information for all parents and targeted support for vulnerable parents to promote babies’ emotional development.
- Promote early intervention by ensuring the provision of local services that are jointly designed with children and young people, and give easy access to support for their mental health to reduce problems and long term risk.
- Ensure the provision of age appropriate mental health and wellbeing services for 16-25 year olds based on a holistic local assessment of their needs.
- Commissioning: It is essential that at a local and national level, commissioning of children and young people’s mental health services is based on current data about needs and underpinned by robust policy and good practice.
- Publish guidance for training providers across the children and young people’s workforce on the inclusion of children’s development and mental health in their training curriculums to establish this is a public health priority.